Thursday, August 19, 2010

Water You Doing?


Yesterday while I was home during my lunch hour... and a half (hey, don't judge .. Wednesdays are tough), something out of the ordinary happened (my normal routine is eat as quickly as possible and take a short snooze .. it does the body good) that really got the old adrenaline pumping.

I had just settled down for a short summer's nap when I heard this loud sound coming from the front bedroom. It was like a cross between static from a clock radio with really bad reception and one of those "white noise" machines that people use to lull them to sleep.

When I went to investigate, I discovered the noise was coming from underneath the bed.

After sliding out several storage boxes and checking the contents, I realized the sound was not coming from any of the containers. It was coming from beneath the floor and ... it was the sound of running .. no, rushing .. water.

I had heard this sound once before. It was years ago during my college days when the Union University Singers went to Niagara Falls.

Since I am a fairly perceptive person, I thought .. this is probably not good.

So, I called Petty Plumbing (no, it's not a business for trivial plumbing issues .. that's the guy's name) and Brian Petty said he was finishing a job in Trenton and would get here asap.

I checked the meter by the street and the dial was spinning so fast it was like standing in front of a box fan. So, I knew the water needed to be shut off.

However, after having hernia surgery just three weeks prior, I thought it best not to risk "stripping a gear" and re-damaging something that is not totally paid for at this time.

That was when I called John Morrison (he works for Humboldt Utilities and is on the Humboldt Rescue Squad .. the perfect 'skill set' for this emergency) who was there within minutes and shut off the water (Thanks, John .. You 'da man!!), which probably kept my house from becoming a riverboat!

Petty Plumbing did arrive in a timely manner and they were quickly able to take care of the problem.

Things could have been worse.

I'm grateful there were no hidden cameras in the house while I was running around in a panic, crying like a little girl.

I do have a macho reputation to uphold, you know.

"Send thine hand from above; rid me, and deliver me out of great waters .." - Psalm 144:7a