Thursday, August 26, 2010

Oops! Wrong Wright


Some days it just doesn't pay to get out of bed (I suppose that's not literally true, since in order to receive a paycheck I actually do need to get out of bed, get ready, and show up for work).

However, from a blogger's point of view .. that is absolutely the case.

Take today's post .. please (with apologies to the late Henny Youngman).

After noticing August 26 was the birthday of Steven Wright, I decided to include more "Wrightisms" (I already posted several back in November) today .. sort of a tribute, if you will (actually, sort of a tribute even if you won't).

Quotes like:
  • All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.
  • I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she left me before we met.
  • Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have.
  • Shin: a device for finding furniture in the dark.
  • Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
  • You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.
  • Why do psychics have to ask you for your name?
  • The severity of the itch is proportional to the reach.
  • Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7th of your life.
  • Change is inevitable....except from vending machines.
Well, imagine my surprise when I learned the guy who was born 56 years ago today is not Steven Wright, the comedian.

He is Stephen Wright, the radio DJ from the United Kingdom.

Granted, some of the characters/sketches from his broadcast sound intriguing (Mr Angry, Dr. Fish-Filleter, Edward the Garrulous Fencing Champion, Useless the Weather Girl, and The Perv .. to name a few). However, since I have never heard (or until today .. heard of) his show, this puts me at a great disadvantage.

In addition to all that, it is now almost 7:30 AM and it is too late to come up with something else.

So...

Happy Birthday, Stephen Wright .. whoever you are.

" ..This day is a day of distress .." - II Kings 19:3b

No comments: