Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Singing with the Seniors

I am at a retreat (Pickwick Landing State Park) with a group of senior adults (yes .. hanging out with my peers) from First Baptist Church, Bolivar today. So, I'm going to say to you what Elizabeth Taylor said to her seventh husband:

"I won't be keeping you long."

Since there is no internet access from the rooms (evidently a Tennessee State Park 'thang' .. I've been this route before at Paris Landing), I had to come down to the lobby area to provide you with today's post (I hope you appreciate the extra effort .. a security guard just asked me to leave immediately .. or go put some pants on).

I am responsible for leading the music before each of the speakers (two of them are former pastors, Dr. Ray Newcomb and Dr. Ed North .. a 'pair a docs' I suppose??) and for providing some light entertainment (it is all scheduled before nightfall).

Since we combined choirs from Humboldt and Bolivar last August for a joint-musical project, I am no stranger to the seniors from FBC (no stranger than any other minister of music, I've been told). In fact, it has often been suggested that I belonged in Bolivar.

I don't know if that is true, but for now they sure have made me feel a sense of belonging.

Senior citizens are the best, no matter where they're from.

Plus when I hang around with them .. they make me look younger.

"Now also when I am old and grayheaded, O God, forsake me not; until I have shewed thy strength unto this generation, and thy power to every one that is to come." - Psalm 71:18

No comments: