Monday, May 3, 2010

You Can't Get There From Here


Because of Funny Foto Friday, Silly Song Saturday, and RevKev's Day Off I haven't had the venue to share what's been going on in our area over the past two weekends.

Those of you who live in West Tennessee know we have had heavy thunderstorms, tons of rain (some have reported over 16 inches this weekend alone), flash flooding, and tornado watches/warnings/touchdowns .. one, right in my pastor's backyard (perhaps a message that Greg should consider 'going another direction' with next week's sermon).

Speaking of going another direction, that's what Bro. Steve and fifty retreaters (one is my wife) are having to do as they return .. make that .. attempt to return from Fall Creek Falls.

They should have gotten home yesterday afternoon but because a number of major highways were closed .. Interstate 40 included .. they were forced to stay in Cookeville last night.

For crying out loud (I know, strong language for a minister .. sorry, I'm a little frustrated) until late yesterday afternoon you couldn't get from Humboldt to Jackson (12 miles) without going to Dyersburg (48 miles .. in the opposite direction) and looping back.

Hopefully, the water has receded enough today so Cheryl can make it home.

Unfortunately, I am leaving this afternoon for Pickwick (great, just what I wanted to see .. more water) Landing, an 80 mile trip that should take me roughly ... 5 or 6 days, and we will probably be as "two ships that pass in the night" (an ironic analogy, wouldn't you say?).

Even with all the flooding (today's pic shows the corner by our church), we were able to have a Sunday morning service complete with MUSIC, MESSAGE and the collection of MONEY (a tried and true Baptist formula).

It was a little tricky, but the ushers came up with a great way of receiving the offering .. with fishing nets.

Nice catch, boys...

"And, behold, I, even I, do bring a flood of waters upon the earth .." - Genesis 6:17a

2 comments:

erin said...

Wow, that picture is crazy!

Stephen and I tried to go to church yesterday but couldn't because the by-pass was closed. So we went to Sonic instead. :)

I hope Cheryl is able to make it home today!

Anonymous said...

Cody was in Nashville for a band competition and got home 7 hours late. They had to come by way of Alabama! My niece was on a choir trip in Cincinnati and got home late because the route takes you through....you guessed it....Nashville.