Monday, July 26, 2010

Great ... A Blow Out


Although my life is usually an open book (or rather .. post), with the exception of a couple of passing comments (he looks so natural .. hey, nice tie) on May 18 and July 19, I have been keeping a deep, dark secret from you.

No, it's not that.

I'm having hernia surgery tomorrow morning.

That's right, folk. I not only spill my guts on this blog .. well, you get the picture.

According to this fascinating booklet given to me by my surgeon .. "Hey Buddy, You Blew It" .. I can use the analogy of an old tire to explain what is now going on within (and without) my body (btw, I also have a spare tire .. but it has absolutely nothing to do with this issue).

Picture an old tire. Its outer wall is like the layers of tissue surrounding your abdomen (the abdominal wall). The tire's inner tube is like the thin inner lining of your abdomen (the peritoneum). Instead of holding air (although holding air is also an issue with me .. but there is no surgery to remedy that), your abdomen holds the intestines and other vital organs. If the outer wall gets weak .. uh oh (and you thought the battle of the bulge was only a German offensive at the end of WWII).

The procedure will be done laparoscopically which should be less painful and have a shorter recovery time. However, I suspect I will be "milking it for all it is worth" and taking my own sweet time getting back into the swing of things.

Will it keep me from posting?

You can always hope and pray.

"Mine eyes do fail with tears, my bowels are troubled .." - Lamentations 2:11a

2 comments:

jaybee said...

Praying for you. I had that procedure when I was about your age. Even though mine was not laparoscopic, I survived very nicely and was soon back cutting grass, taking out garbage, and doing other manly household chores...

RevKev♫ said...

I may have to delete this post before Cheryl sees it...