Monday, July 5, 2010

It's Nice Being Off


The offices of First Baptist Church, Humboldt are closed today, so I was able to "sleep in" this morning .. until 7 a.m. (yes, JayBee .. there are TWO seven o'clocks in a day).

When I was young .. ♪♫ I never needed anyone ♪♫ .. I could easily sleep until noon if given the chance (evidently my lovely wife never ages .. ♪♫ and in my heart you'll always stay .. forever young ♪♫).

At 53 I rarely (if ever) sleep past 6 o'clock .. most days, it's 5:30 .. even on Saturdays and holidays.

Lately, I've been in some sort of "Dr. Pepper pattern" .. I go to bed at 10, then wake up at 2 and 4. That, like me .. is getting old, fast!

Many early risers (early to bed, early to rise), both past and present, are known for being "go-getters" (ex. Ben Franklin, who wrote that famous quote, and Ben Stallings, the drumming dentist, come to mind. Ben there .. Done that). They took/take advantage of the "extra" early morning hours and this makes them more productive.

I, on the other hand, "rise and shine" (perhaps, just rise is more accurate) to post on RevKev's blog.

Am I making a difference .. discovering electricity, like Ben F?

Am I contributing to society .. relieving pain and suffering, like Ben S?

No.

However, if I can make just one person smile .. and that is a big IF .. every day, that gives me great satisfaction.

May that be a lesson to all you over-achievers out there.

Set your goal low enough and you just might be able to hit it!

"So we make it our goal to please him, whether we are at home in the body or away from it." - II Corinthians 5:9

2 comments:

jaybee said...

Really? There are TWO 7:30's? You see, it's just as I have always said--If anything important happens before noon, somebody will tell me about it when I wake up.

jaybee said...

Oops, you said seven, I said 7:30. Sorry, still a little groggy...