Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Please Mr. Postman


"Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from completion of their appointed rounds"

These are the words inscribed on the front of the New York Post Office .. it opened on September 7 in 1914 .. which many believe to be the motto of the United States Postal Service.

It is not.

The USPS has no official motto or creed, so I guess they don't have to be held accountable to anyone .. after all, they are a part of the US government and that is standard operational procedure.

Actually, I think they do a pretty good job and I have no complaints, whatsoever (I'm trying to only say nice things .. don't you read the papers? .. those employees are ticking time-bombs just waiting to explode .. they call it going postal for a reason, you know).

So ... today let's try to keep it as light as possible with two jokes (the only two clean jokes I could find on the subject, I might add) and a country and western song title.

First, the jokes:

A woman went to the Post Office to buy stamps for her Christmas Cards. "What denomination?" asked the clerk. "Oh, good heavens! Have we come to this?" said the woman. "Well, give me 30 Catholic, 10 Baptist ones, 20 Lutheran, and 40 Presbyterian."

A guy stormed into the postmaster's office in a fury. "I've been getting threatening letters in the mail for months and I want them stopped." "Of course," said the postmaster. "Sending threatening letters through the mail is a federal offense. Do you know who' sending them?" "Yes," shouted the man. "It's those idiots down at the Internal Revenue Service."

(Don't get me started on the IRS. Even a 'nice guy' like me can get worked up over the Infernal Revenue Service).

Now, the song:

When they operated on papa, they opened mother's male.

Happy "Neither Rain Nor Snow" Day!

"Woe to us! Who will deliver .." - I Samuel 4:8a

No comments: