Thursday, September 30, 2010

Here's Mud in Your Eye

According to holidayinsights.com ... and Facebook friend, TLWI (she wouldn't joke about something as serious as this) ... September 30 is National Mud Pack Day and since my name has been "mud" on more than one occasion (both professionally and personally), I was somewhat intrigued by this special day.

Mud baths have been in existence for thousands of years and can now be found in some of the more exclusive spas in many countries of the world (for some reason the 'sand bath' never really took off ... Well, technically it did take off ... the outer couple of layers of skin).

The use of mud packs (according to the four page, full-color brochure) is effective in the treatment of chronic inflammation caused by internal diseases, bruises, sprains, boils, and wounds because the mud is able to retain moisture and coolness for longer periods than cold water packs or compresses.

The cold moisture in the mud packs relaxes the pores of the skin, draws the blood into the surface, relieves inner congestion and pain, promotes heat radiation, and eliminates toxins in the body.

Of course, not all types of muds are beneficial.

For example, when ingested, "Mississippi Mud" produces fat cells.

To avoid this, simply apply topically (I wouldn't suggest going outdoors during this 'treatment' ... it also produces ... flies).

When I was a child I would get in big trouble for getting my "Sunday clothes" muddy before going to church.

Too bad I didn't know about all these benefits back then.

Mud. It does the body good.

"He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand." - Psalm 40:2

No comments: