Monday, September 27, 2010

How Do You Mend a Broken Hip


My 35 year high school reunion was this past weekend and all I can say is ... "Wow!" ... and maybe also, "Ow!" (I'm not as young as I used to be).

This event has been a long time coming (thirty five years to be exact) and I don't think anyone was disappointed (except for those who couldn't/wouldn't attend).

The last time the class of '75 from South Side High School got together was in 1995 and for some reason ... I missed it.

Perhaps I had a previous engagement? (No, that couldn't be it ... I'm already married).

Perhaps I didn't get the word? (Is it possible they kept this information from me on purpose??? ... Maybe I'm paranoid, but when people are out to get you, there's good reason to be).

Perhaps I just decided it was not worth the time or effort ... or money?

All I know is if the 20 year gathering was half as fun as this one ... I missed out, big time!

Of course, there were some challenges on Saturday.

Many of my classmates looked like a slightly older version of themselves from senior year and they were easy to identify.

Others had changed so much we had to ask for two forms of identification before allowing them to enter the banquet room at the Doubletree Hotel (we couldn't afford to have spies from North Side crashing our party, now could we?).

After the meal of boneless chicken breasts, steamed veggies with no salt, and sugar-free pie (the menu was 'over fifty friendly'), we had a brief program (our attention span is even shorter than it was back in 1975 ... during sixth period ... on a Friday), had a class photo made (no blue velvet wraps or tuxes this time) and then proceeded to "get down" on the dance floor (some were even able to get back up).

Many months of planning went into this event (it took longer because no one could remember what we did at the previous meeting ... then we started taking notes) and all that hard work paid off in the end.

When we all got together is was just like high school again (minus the bad hair styles and pimples, of course) and you just can't put a price tag on that.

Actually, you can ... $50 a person.

Now the challenge is Stayin' Alive ... Stayin' Alive until we meet again.

Hopefully, we won't wait another fifteen years.

"Remember the days of old .." - Deuteronomy 32:7a

2 comments:

Susan Nelson said...

Looking at the picture and the title, I have one question. Did YOU dance?? I have fond memories of you, the Moser's and the Longserre's doing the macarana(sp?). It did turn out to be the, uh hum, strangest close up I ever got of you.

RevKev♫ said...

It is called "creative movement" in Baptist circles...