Monday, April 19, 2010

Another Sleepless Night


Those readers who have "been around the block .. a time or two" (I chose to use this terminology instead of 'rode hard and put up wet') will remember the old Dr. Pepper logo that included the numbers 10, 2 and 4. They represented the times of day when the human body needs a little "pick-me-up" to avoid an energy slump (this was discovered in a study on the body's metabolism done in the 1920s by Dr. Walter Eddy of Columbia University).

Dr. Eddy's research showed a natural drop in body energy at 10:30 a.m., 2:30 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. (I've discovered this also occurs at any given time after you reach the age of fifty). However, he also discovered that if the people in his research study had something to eat or drink at 10, 2 and 4, the energy slump could be avoided.

When these findings were released, the executives at Dr. Pepper challenged their advertising agency to come up with a logo/theme (I still marvel at their brilliant design .. three numbers and the name of the cola) that suggested their product should be that 10, 2 and 4 drink which would keep your energy level up and, as they say ... the rest is history.

Granted, it was no "Dr. Pepper, so misunderstood" or "I'm a Pepper, you're a Pepper, wouldn't you like to be a Pepper, too?" .. but for the 1920s, I suppose it was pretty slick.

For me, last evening was a "Dr. Pepper night."

Since I was so tired (Sunday is a day of rest, you know .. right), I went to bed at nine o'clock. However, I didn't sleep well (this is so unusual for me) and I was up at .. yep .. ten, two and four.

I know it's not ten o'clock, but I am in serious need of an "energy boost" .. now.

"Yet a little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to sleep" - Proverbs 24:33

No comments: