Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Here Comes the "I Scream" Man


Occasionally, my schedule can make me feel anxious and a little overwhelmed. Sometimes it even makes me want to scream.

Well .. cover your ears, folk. It's that time of the month (sorry .. that didn't come out quite right .. or did it??).

Yesterday was .. Monday and that says it all (most ministers resign on that day .. each and every week).

Today, I am speaking at an associational senior adult event at Hickory Withe Baptist Church which is located .. somewhere near Memphis (I really ought to Mapquest that address since I have to be there by 10:30).

This is my second senior adult "gig" in a week's time (I went to Sugar Creek Retirement Center in Brownsville last Thursday .. no one invited me .. I just walked in and started doing my stand-up routine since I really needed the practice for today) and I had the crowd spellbound (you could hear a pin drop the entire time I was speaking).

This Sunday, my SonShiners (they are not exclusive to me, but I like to call them mine) will sing at the West Tennessee Strawberry Festival (a thirty minute mini-concert) and I am directing a Community Choir, as well.

Next week, I am leading the music at a retreat for .. yes, again .. senior adults from First Baptist Church, Bolivar at Pickwick Landing State Park.

Does anyone else see a pattern here?

It doesn't seem like that many years ago I was always asked to do youth events.

Now, it appears I'm exclusively on the geriatric circuit (please, no 'it takes one to know one' comments at the end of this post .. that would just be tacky).

I suppose since all my jokes are "old jokes" .. it's a match made in heaven.

I'm just grateful these events are during the daytime.

I can't see well enough to drive at night.

"But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off .." - II Peter 1:9a

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kevin I understand the scream part. That is the way I feel with only 18 days of school left.
so much to do and no time.. You were in my part of the country today. You should have come on in to Arlington and stopped at the school.

RevKev♫ said...

Check your call id at home. I did try to call sometime after 3 PM. Blessings!

Stephanie said...

Just shows that you are flexible and can appeal to all age groups!! lol Isn't it wonderful that you enjoy it so much?