Monday, April 26, 2010

She's a Lady ... a Funny Lady


This may come as a surprise to some of you, but (NEWSFLASH!!) I enjoy a good laugh.

It is especially important to me when I'm doing my stand-up routine .. or my 'little dog and pony show' as one of my church members calls it (alright, it doesn't even have to be a good laugh .. any kind will do .. I'll also settle for a chuckle, smile, slight grin, or on a really bad night .. occasional eye contact).

From 1967 to 1978, I never failed to get that "good laugh" every time I watched The Carol Burnett Show.

The sketches were brilliant (remember the Gone with the Wind parody when Carol, as Scarlett, wore the dress she made from curtains .. rod and all?).

However, I probably enjoyed seeing her field questions from members of the studio audience as much as anything. She was always "quick on her feet" and you never knew what she might say (most likely because she never knew what she might say .. much like a blogger we all know and love .. okay, okay, much like a blogger we all know .. period).

Carol tells the story about trying to write a personal check at an "exclusive" store without any form of identification. In order to prove she was Carol Burnett, the store manager asked her to do her famous Tarzan yell. She complied, which satisfied the manager.

It also attracted the attention of a startled security guard who came running .. with gun drawn.

Happy seventy seventh birthday, Carol Burnett!

I'm so glad we had this time together.

"They shall roar together like lions: they shall yell as lions' whelps." - Jeremiah 51:38

No comments: