Tuesday, April 20, 2010

That's a Tight Squeeze

Yesterday our SonShiners choir did a 30 minute program (it was really a 15 minute program .. but we sing very slowly) at the Tennessee State Veterans Home in Humboldt and (per usual) they did a great job!

Normally when we go somewhere to sing, I ask Bro. Greg to drive the church van for us. However, for some reason I decided to "do the honors" myself for a change.

Not a good idea.

I know many of my friends in ministry have a CDL (Commercial Drivers License) and do most of the driving when their group travels. Somehow I have avoided doing so over my 35 years of ministry and to be quite honest .. the world is a better place for it.

There is a lot of responsibility when you cart around a group (especially when they are senior adults) and I don't handle pressure very well (those who have had the misfortune of being around me a couple of weeks before a Christmas musical know what I'm talking about .. it ain't pretty).

I have driven a fifteen passenger church van many times over the years and that is no problem .. on the older, now uninsurable models.

The new vans .. although still only holding 15 people .. are wider, longer and enough "big bus like" to make me just a little uncomfortable when I'm behind the wheel.

Oh, I have no problem driving.

It's the parking that gives me fits.

If there is plenty of open space available (like, say on an empty football field), no biggie.

However, when you have to put an "oversized gorilla" in a spot designed for a "subcompact monkey" .. nothing good can come of that.

I am forever indebted to Don Holland (former FBC Humboldt Minister of Music from the 60s, current SonShiner member and now uniquely qualified to be an air traffic controller) for helping me navigate out of a tight situation and for keeping me from "taking out" several vehicles in a parking area that was obviously made specifically for Mini Coopers.

We will be singing again in a few weeks at one of the area nursing homes.

Hey, Bro. Greg .. can you drive?

"Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it."
- Matthew 7:14

2 comments:

Cathy said...

The first time I drove the bus at Whitten, I ran over the pole in front of the gas pumps and tore the whole side of the van off above the wheel. Yep, that was a great memory. Of course, I was the only one who could drive it since all the guys failed the test the first time they took it and little ole me passed!

RevKev said...

I may need you to drive next time if Bro. Greg can't.