Monday, February 1, 2010

Get Me Out of Here ... NOW


This morning I will attempt to do something that hasn't been done since last Thursday afternoon (no, it's not take a bath .. although that is probably a good idea, as well).

I plan to leave the confines of these four walls and go .. somewhere .. anywhere.

With all the snow and ice in the forecast at the end of last week (congratulations weather forecasters .. you got it right!) and plenty of milk and bread on hand, there was no reason to venture out and risk breaking a bone or .. even worse .. busting my bottom. I sit on it constantly (ask anyone who knows me, they'll verify) and some pretty serious lifestyle changes would have to be made if anything traumatic ever happened.

It was not worth chancing.

Throw in .. Friday is my regular day off, no school (it is closed today, as well .. Cheryl has been sobbing uncontrollably since receiving the phone call yesterday), a cancelled ladies retreat on Saturday, and no church (school children and teachers aren't the only ones who pray, you know) on Sunday (I did watch Steve Gaines .. twice .. plus the morning service from FBC Jackson .. outstanding job Greg Williams .. what a pleasure to see a good music minister at work .. for a change), and there was really no excuse to leave the house.

If the kids were still around, I would have been outside playing in the snow from dawn until dark.

They weren't.

I didn't.

Also, the stretch of road in front of my house is still a solid sheet of ice. You might be able to get out of the driveway, but getting back in would be next to impossible.

Yesterday, one of our friends called and offered to drop by some homemade rum cake. Since this is as close as a Baptist can be to "getting liquored up," we said, "Come on."

He has a four wheel drive vehicle and he couldn't even pull up to the house (he left his SUV in the middle of the street and walked to our front door).

Although the conditions are still far from ideal .. I'm going for it.

You can only drink so much coffee, eat so may bowls of chili, and watch so many hours of A&E's Pride and Prejudice before finally going "stir crazy."

Last night I chopped through the bedroom door with an ax and exclaimed, "Here's Johnny!"

Yeah .. it's time to get out of here.

"Look at the man! He is insane!" - I Samuel 21:14b

3 comments:

Theology Reflections said...

can I come too???

http://www.branchandvineyard.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

KEV,
I WAS INTRIGUED BY THE WORD PLETHORA AND HAD TO GOOGLE IT UP AND YOU USED IT CORRECTLY AND I KNOW KNOW WHAT PLETHORA MEANS.
BD

Stephanie said...

I'm really enjoying your blog - thanks!! Mike doesn't ask anymore what is so funny when I sit over here laughing as I read your posts. I just tell him Kevin - that goofy minister of music. :)