Monday, February 15, 2010

Trouble Comes in Threes


According to superstition (♪♫ Very superstitious .. writing's on the wall ♪♫ very superstitious .. ladders bout' to fall ♪♫), bad luck or trouble comes in threes.

I'm not quite sure of the origin of this myth. In fact, I'm not quite sure it is a myth.

Since I spoke at Valentine's banquets on Friday (Nashville), Saturday (Greenfield) and Sunday (Bethel Springs), and because when people see me coming the usual response is "here comes trouble" .. well, you can see my point.

It is still a mystery why people would actually invite me to come to their gathering .. and ruin a perfectly good evening.

On top of that, they pay me money (most of the time) to do it.

Is this a great country, or what?

I don't really remember how I got into the "banquet business." However, I believe my first speaking engagement was a deacons and wives Valentine's banquet at First Baptist Church in Huntingdon (maybe in 1980?).

I was on staff at the church (beware of that little anything deemed necessary part of your job description) and had a reputation for having a good sense of humor (translated: a nut). So, they asked me to do something for this annual event.

If memory serves me correctly (and these days, it often doesn't), I did a few song parodies.

Like ...
Put Your Hand in the Fan
(Put Your Hand in the Hand)
Put your hand in the fan and you'll probably lose a finger,
Put your foot in the fan and you'll probably lose a toe,
Put your face in the fan and you will look at others .. differently
Put your body in the fan and change your anatomy.
and ...
Elsie Died
(El Shaddai)
Elsie died, Elsie died,
No more milk since Elsie died

To close the program, I tried to be serious (I have a serious side .. seriously) and have the couples renew their vows to one another.

Well, they thought it was all a big joke and the guys laughed all the way through this very "sacred" time.

After the program, everyone told me how hilarious it was .. especially the "wacky vow part."

I suppose the rest is history.

Oh well. I tried .. seriously.

"It was right that we should make merry and be glad."
- Luke 15:32a

No comments: