Monday, November 2, 2009

Has Anyone Seen Joe the Plumber?


Let me preface today's post by saying I intended on writing about an encounter I had with several college/career students at The Humboldt Grill .. or just "The Grill" as the regulars call it .. after church yesterday. One of the young ladies .. I'll only use a first name so I won't embarrass her .. (it was Candra) made a particularly "off the wall" comment in response to something I said and I couldn't wait to share it on Monday's blog.

However, a lot changed between lunch and 3:30 PM on Sunday and I have decided to save the "Candra story" (she said she would only read my blog if I talked about her .. ever since she did that major network interview after the tornado, she loves being in the spotlight .. we are so different) for another time.

I was enjoying a short Sunday afternoon nap when Cheryl informed me the washing machine had flooded the laundry room (it's really more like a closet) and that none of the toilets would flush without overflowing.

Upon further investigation, I noticed water had also backed up into the bathtub and front shower.

I don't know much about plumbing, but I was pretty sure something was not quite right. So, with plunger in hand, I went straight to the back bathroom and made an attempt to unstop the toilet. I spent no less than thirty minutes trying to get the water level down.

No luck.

I turned my attention to the sink and after pouring a liberal (a difficult task for a die hard conservative) amount of Clorox bleach down the drain (an old trick I learned from Hazel .. the one that used to be at FBC .. not Shirley Booth .. that usually works), I plunged a while on the sink (yes it was the same plunger and yes .. that's gross).

Again, no luck.

I tried plunging the bathtub. I tried plunging the toilet in the middle bathroom and then the toilet in the front bath.

Several hours .. and blisters .. later, I was no better off than when I first started.

Also, now there was water seeping through the floor from the bathroom to the bedroom (evidently our shower does not have the Good Housekeeping 'Seal' of Approval) ).

By this time I was hot, sweaty, tired and frustrated.

Frustrated, because Sunday morning's message was on .. anger (thanks a lot, Justin).

Since this was in no way "righteous anger," I was determined to suck it up .. which by the way was what I ended up doing with most of the water on the floors.

I missed Sunday night church. I didn't make it to Handbell rehearsal and after all that work I still ended up calling a professional to finish the job.

It was all a very painful and costly experience.

On second thought, I should have told the "Candra story."

"I sink in deep mire, where there is no standing: I am come into deep waters, where the floods overflow me." - Psalm 69:2

1 comment:

erin said...

I hope you'll tell the "Candra story" now. I'm curious! The story you told is sad indeed. What caused all those problems?