Saturday, March 13, 2010

Don't Forget to Set Your Clock


Daylight Saving Time begins at 2:00 A.M. tomorrow morning when we all "spring forward" .. yippie.

This is no problem for "night owl" blog readers like jaybee and TWI (funny, I don't think I've ever seen them during daylight hours .. I wonder if they cast a reflection or have an aversion to garlic?), but for people like me who go to bed at a decent hour (okay, I'm up and down all night ... but I do try to go to sleep), this means setting the alarm for two o'clock, getting up, and changing all the clocks in our house (at last count .. 31).

I suppose I could do all that before retiring (speaking of retirement .. looking at my last quarterly statement from the Annuity Board, it appears that's not going to happen anytime in the near future .. in fact, I need to live at least ten more years than I had planned in order to recoup what I've lost in my mutual fund) for the night. However, I'm a "rule person" and if DST starts at two .. that's when I set the clocks.

Daylight Saving Time was instituted during World War I in order to save energy (for war production) by taking advantage of the longer daylight hours between April and October. During World War II, the government again required the states to observe the time change.

Between the wars and after WWII, each state/community decided whether or not to participate.

In 1966, Congress passed the Uniform Time Act (in many people's minds .. an unnatural act) which standardized the length of Daylight Saving Time.

Ironically, what began as an effort to "save energy" has resulted in just the opposite.

If you don't believe me, take a look at the faces of those who will be in church (those who actually make it) tomorrow morning and listen to the congregational singing.

I can think of many words to describe what I see and hear on "time change Sunday" in the Spring.

"Energetic" is not one of them.

"And the king, and all the people that were with him, came weary" - II Samuel 16:4a

1 comment:

jaybee said...

Hooray for the end to daylight wasting time!