Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Limited Commercial Interruption ... Yeah, Right


I am a huge fan of the DVR (digital video recorder) and I believe "time-shifting" (recording and storing television shows for later viewing) may just be the "greatest thing since sliced bread" .. which, when it was invented, was the "greatest thing since the stick with a pointy end."

The DVR does a great job (for the most part) and fits in to our busy lifestyle quite well. However, it occasionally misses a show (this has to somehow be our fault, I'm sure .. human error is the only logical explanation) which is usually "no biggie."

I said .. usually.

Since Cheryl and I are perhaps the only two people on planet earth who don't watch 24 (we refuse to be Lemmings), we have to "settle" for other television shows.

For whatever reason, our all-knowing, all-powerful DVR did not record part one of a two part episode (it did get the second - go figure) of CASTLE .. a show we find very entertaining.

We had the option of deleting "part two" and walking away or watching the first one on ABC dot com with "limited commercial interruption."

To make a long story .. even longer, we ended up watching Megan Mullally pitching I Can't Believe It's Not Butter by singing, "Turn the Tub Around" no less than TEN TIMES during the course of an hour episode.

I find Ms Mullally to be a talented and very funny woman. However, when you see the same commercial over, and over, and over, and over again (especially one with music .. 'Turn the Tub Around' is a take-off of Gloria Estefan's 'Turn the Beat Around' .. appropriate, because after the fourth or fifth time I wanted to BEAT my head against the wall and BEAT someone .. anyone), let's just say I won't be buying any season of WILL AND GRACE on DVD or Blu-ray Disc.

Those who have never seen the commercial may want to Google "Turn the Tub Around" and experience the 30 second spot.

Take my advice, though .. Don't hit replay.

We have enough serial killers running around loose out there.

"I already gave you a warning .." - II Corinthians 13:2a

No comments: