Monday, March 8, 2010

While You Were Sleeping


I was just made aware (via Facebook, a reliable news source .. second only in accuracy to the local beauty shop) that March 7-13 is National Sleep Awareness Week (were you aware of this?).

Since I no longer post on Sundays (it's a day of rest, you know .. right), I am getting the word out just a tad late (the festivities started yesterday) and, although I feel bad about that .. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

National Sleep Awareness Week (or NSAW .. not to be confused with NSFW) is an annual public education and awareness campaign to promote the importance of sleep. They even have a website click here to view with many topics and tips on the subject and let me testify that it works. After spending just five minutes there I found it almost impossible to keep my eyes open.

Although I often have difficulty sleeping these days (if you check the archives of this blog you will notice that almost half of the entries deal with my sleeping problems .. the rest? .. bodily functions), in years past that has not been the case.

I've always been a great proponent of sleep. Just ask any of my college professors .. I could actually get into a "deep sleep pattern" when they showed slides (with the lights out) during Art Appreciation .. I really appreciated that.

Huffman's class (his, not hers .. btw, you are in my prayers these days, Ms June) was a close second. That's because he would read .. word for word .. right straight out of the textbook (once I raised my hand and told him he missed a semicolon .. he gave me a dirty look, so I went back to sleep).

Although I do have difficulty sleeping at the "ordained" time and place (at night .. in my bed), I seem to have no problem at all when I am ...
  • Sitting in the recliner
  • Watching a movie
  • Attending a funeral
  • Listening to a sermon
  • Working in my office (especially after lunch)
  • Driving on Interstate 40
  • Reading my own blog
I hope you enjoyed today's entry. In other words .. sweet dreams.

"And he saw that rest was good .." - Genesis 49:15a

4 comments:

dawsonhull said...

Great post! Taneea and I just watched "While You Were Sleeping" Friday night. One question: don't you think the timing of this "sleep awareness" is a little counterproductive as we'll lose an hour at the end of this week?!

RevKev said...

Good point regarding Daylight Savings Time .. or the "Mark of the Beast" .. as I like to call it. Thanks for reading, Dawson!

jaybee said...

Excellent source material!

Tom T. Kitty said...

I am a member of the Eutychus Society. Sleeping in a church near you...