Monday, March 22, 2010

Rainy Days and Mondays

Talkin' to myself and feelin' old ... these are the opening lyrics to the Paul Williams/Roger Nichols hit made famous by the Carpenters back in 1971 and for some strange reason that song is on my mind today (this is just a shot in the dark, but .. perhaps it is because this is Monday .. and it's raining??).

Here is the song. Let's break it down.
  • Talkin' to myself and feelin' old (unless you are using Bluetooth .. look out. Your kids can have you committed for far less)
  • Sometimes I'd like to quit (I'm in the ministry. It's the day after Sunday .. 'nuff said)
  • Nothing ever seems to fit (okay, I've put on a pound or two since high school .. so sue me)
  • Hangin' around .. nothing to do but frown (I've been here for ten years .. no one is happy about it)
  • Rainy days and Mondays always get me down
  • What I've got, they used to call the blues (it's always darkest .. just before it goes pitch black)
  • Nothing is really wrong (two wrongs don't make a right .. but three lefts do)
  • Feeling like I don't belong (I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members ~ Groucho Marx)
  • Walkin' around .. some kind of lonely clown (I had a one-man show on Broadway .. That's who all showed up...one man ~ Krusty the Clown)
  • Rainy days and Monday always get me down
  • Funny but it seems I always end up here with you (Funny butt???)
  • Nice to know somebody loves me (keep calling her 'funny butt' and she won't be around for long)
  • Funny but it seems that it's the only thing to do (go ahead .. don't listen .. keep up that 'funny butt' stuff .. if the wisecracks don't end soon...)
  • Run and find the one who loves me (told you .. you've been dropped like a hot potato and now she's nowhere in sight .. what a sad .. tail)
  • What I feel has come and gone before (Doctor, it hurts every time I do this .. Well, don't do that)
  • No need to talk it out (I have two rules in choir .. 1. The director is never wrong ... 2. IF the director is wrong .. refer to rule #1)
  • We know what it's all about (I may often be mistaken .. but I'm never wrong)
  • Hangin' around .. nothing to do but frown (I'm just trying to hold on until retirement .. did I mention no one is happy about it??)
  • Rainy days and Mondays always get me down (Move over Garfield .. there's a new cat in town)
"We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair" - II Corinthians 4:8

1 comment:

Cathy said...

Have you thought about going into the ministry? All you need is a poem and you're in good shape. Thank you for the inspiration on this special day.