Monday, March 15, 2010

Revival Survival


Several months ago I accepted the invitation (♪♫ Just as I am, without one plea ♪♫ ) to lead the music in a revival meeting at First Baptist Church in Dover, Tennessee where long-time friends, George and Denise Miller serve.

Here are some reflections (although, this morning I am seeing through a mirror .. dimly) on the first day.

When I agreed to do the revival music back in early November, Bro. George asked if I wanted to stay in Dover for the week or if I preferred to commute. After much prayer .. and because I had been to Dover (Fort Donelson and Fred's Dollar Store .. that's about it .. when you've lived in a large urban area like Bemis and Humboldt this would be too much of a culture shock), I opted to go the 160 miles round-trip daily route.

This would allow me to be in the office for most of the day and keep me from missing another Monday SonShiners rehearsal (we had three snow days .. can you believe it?).

It sounded good .. at the time.

However, I didn't realize we were beginning on "time change Sunday" (not the good one .. where you gain an hour ... the evil one .. where you look like a character from a George Romero film by early afternoon).

This meant after losing that hour of sleep (actually, I was hyped up about the revival and probably only slept four hours the entire night) I had to unlock all the doors at my own church (my regular Sunday routine .. I could have asked someone else to do it, but didn't .. so I could sound as much like a martyr as possible in today's post) and then make the eighty mile drive to Dover with an ETA of 8:30 AM (I had a rehearsal with the instrumentalists at nine).

The service was at 10:30 (good attendance) and Dr. Dale Ellenburg had a wonderful message .. sandwiched in between jokes (he didn't tell the one about sucking all the chocolate off the peanuts .. standard 'preacher-fare' for over thirty years that, evidently, is required by the FCC .. or SBC .. to tell at some point during any large gathering of believers).

The "team" (that's what Baptists call the revival preacher and worship leader .. although they rarely coordinate or have the time/opportunity to work together .. much like Tennessee in their recent game against Kentucky) went to lunch and then I spent the rest of the afternoon at the church planning Monday and Tuesday night's service music before leading a 4:30 rehearsal with the instrumentalists and choir.

It was "children's night" and I stayed with the theme by selecting appropriate songs (Jesus Loves Me, Praise Him, All Ye Little Children, etc.) and fidgeting/crying some during the service (I do that when I'm really tired).

Afterward, I drove back to Humboldt and had supper (two buffalo chicken strips) .. at 9:30 PM.

Was it worth it?

A little girl prayed to receive Christ last night.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

"And whoso shall receive one such little child in my name receiveth me." - Matthew 18:5

1 comment:

TWI said...

...and it's all worth it, just for that little girl!