Monday, July 13, 2009

Ten Year .. Tenure?


July 19th marks my tenth anniversary at First Baptist Church, Humboldt and yesterday morning they "pulled one over on me" during the morning worship hour (make that morning worship hour .. and a quarter).

In our regular pre-service "routine" the choir lines up in the hallway just outside the sanctuary awaiting my signal (a point of the finger coupled with 'go, go' .. it's sort of like sending sky divers out of a plane) to enter the choir loft.

As the choir is filling the loft (make that half-filling .. it is summer) I go through a separate set of doors (much like the entrance of a WCW wrestler) and meet them "on the other side" (the sanctuary .. not heaven .. most Sundays, not even close).

Yesterday, the choir was seated as the organist finished the prelude (Dinah does play something before the Call to Worship .. you just can't tell with all the talking and such) and then I had them stand to sing. I usually glance over to the instrumentalists to see if they are ready .. no point of the finger and 'go, go' this time .. though that might be more effective .. and give the downbeat.

When I did this yesterday .. nothing happened (it wasn't the first time in ten years).

No problem.

I did it again and .. again .. nothing.

By now I am just a little embarrassed (it was a fairly substantial downbeat .. like you'd use for Beethoven's Fifth .. drank like a fish, I'm told) and slightly miffed (if I want to be ignored I'll just say something to Cheryl when she first crawls out of bed).

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice ..

At this point I realized something was amiss (Dinah and Katie 'a missed' their cues) so I turned around to see my pastor (and former friend) walking to the platform to put me out of my misery.

What followed was a nine minute DVD of possibly every unflattering photo ever taken of me (fortunately, there was no nudity) over my thirty four years of ministry.

The congregation loved seeing me looking stupid (this rarely happens .. I'm usually so sophisticated) and I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't some type of blackmail (5'11".. 180 lbs) attempt if these photos ever got into the wrong hands (obviously that has already happened).

They came back and made nice, however, with flowers for Cheryl, a glass plaque (have you ever noticed how much plaque looks like plague? .. Is it possible the ancient Egyptians really just got an engraved list on a flat ornamental plate? .. flies, boils, locusts, etc. etc. etc.) and a monetary gift (you don't have to tithe on those you know) that will really come in handy in these uncertain economic times.

Thank you, FBC for putting up with me for a decade.

You are gluttons for punishment.

"Put me in remembrance." - Isaiah 43:26a

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

It was a great tribute and fun to be a part of ... and then the preacher had to go to meddlin' in that sermon of his ...

Boy did last night make me feel old! That was the first musical we did when Georgann, Frank and I tackled (literally) 3rd/4th grade choirs. Now all those kids are either in or starting college this Fall. And some of THOSE dandelions were your helpers last night!

It was a great Sunday.

Vicki Dale said...

I thought the tribute was awesome. Its fun to be part of something so sneaky...just wish I had thought of it...the look on your face was priceless, but I couldn't keep my eyes off of Katie. She had a smurk on her face that I thought was going to erupt in laughter. Shes so sweet it was just fun to watch her do something so evil.
You deserved it all....WE LOVE YOU.

erin said...

It was so great seeing you keep giving that downbeat and get nothing in response. Hehe. And of course the pictures were thoroughly entertaining. Happy 10 years!

Unknown said...

Why aren't the pictures on Facebook?

RevKev♫ said...

The video/slideshow is now on Facebook. Thanks??? Guinda Flippin for putting this together.

jidgede said...

a little bird told me the "tribute" was wonderful!!! and wish i could see those pictures.......heard your early years were something....oh...on my way over to facebook now.....also, heard the music sunday was great......YOU can come to my church any sunday!!!!!