Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Would You Like to Play a Game?


In the 1983 movie, Wargames, David Lightman, a computer whizz (excuse me for a minute .. I suddenly need to go to the bathroom) kid, played by Matthew Broderick, accidentally connects into a top-secret military "super computer" (oops .. sorry) which has control over the entire nuclear weaponry of the United States.

The computer challenges him to a game of "Global Thermonuclear War" (should've gone with Pac-Man) between America and Russia and he innocently starts the countdown to World War III (much like I did when I cut Megan's bangs .. without Cheryl's knowledge .. when she was little .. those were dark days).

My conclusion?

All games are evil .. even "Spin the Bottle" (I always had to kiss the girl who held an uncanny resemblance to Ernest Borgnine).

Last night Russ and Susan (or Suzy .. no wait it's Sue ..as she despises being called) invited us over for supper (okay, Russ had no 'say so' in the matter .. guys just do as we are told .. make that smart guys just do as we are told).

We had a lovely .. and healthy .. meal and I was having a great time.

Then it happened.

Susan informed everyone (since I had just eaten her food, I was trapped) we would be playing some type of game after dessert. However, we could choose from a list she had compiled.

That list ranged from the "mildly annoying" to the "too horrible to speak."

We settled on a card game called Hand (mine was clinched into a fist) over Foot (oh, how I desperately wanted to kick someone .. anyone).

Russ and Cheryl were partners and Susan and I were partners (this was so we could end the evening without hating our own spouses).

Actually, as games go .. it wasn't as bad as I had imagined.

Nothing ended up broken (including my nose .. or marriage) and the police never had to be dispatched.

All in all .. not a bad night.

Will I ever play Hand over Foot again?

Only if "Global Thermonuclear War" is not an option.

"Come on, let us deal wisely with them; lest they multiply, and it come to pass, that, when there falleth out any war, they join also unto our enemies, and fight against us." - Exodus 1:10

4 comments:

Beverly said...

Broadening our horizons is hard for old folks!

RevKev said...

Tell me about it!

The Stanphill Family said...

This is Susan. RevKev get it right...I don't like the name Sue, and I like being called Suzy...especially by those who are friends (not you). :)

We had a great time last night and you and Cheryl are welcome to come over and play Hand over Foot again anytime! Enjoy your day!

The Stanphill Family said...

I am just glad it wasnt Catch Phrase or something horrid!