Friday, December 11, 2009

The Cane Mutiny


Although it was bitter cold outside, we had a pretty good attendance for the final YY (Youth of Yesterday) meeting of 2009 last evening at First Baptist Church.

The program featured our SonShiners Choir (it was their third performance since last Sunday .. there's no business like show business) and, judging from the response, the crowd loved them (of course a good number of the SonShiners are also members of the YYs .. so technically they could sing and then clap for themselves .. that's what you call instant gratification).

At the conclusion of last night's program, the YYs presented me with a sweet card and some "cold cash" (someone must have left it in their car) as a token of their appreciation for all I had done for them this past year (how embarrassing .. the officers and committees keep this organization functioning like a well-oiled machine .. I just show up for the meetings .. however, I still kept the money).

I know I joke a lot about working with those "old people" at the church. However, I'd "take a bullet" (okay, that's a little extreme .. I'd deflect a paper wad in a heartbeat) for any one of them.

I may take a few "pokes" and "jabs" at these "oldies, but goodies" .. however, don't YOU dare try it (I'll borrow one of their walking sticks and poke and jab anyone who does).

Nobody badmouths MY senior adults .. but me.

"Thus saith the LORD of hosts; There shall yet old men and old women dwell in the streets of Jerusalem, and every man with his staff in his hand for very age."
- Zechariah 8:4

1 comment:

davidg said...

you never cease to amazme me with your humor. I know you are expecting big bucks from your Meridian engagement.