Thursday, December 10, 2009

West Tennessee Elf Care


Humboldt General Hospital has a Christmas luncheon/party/variety show each year for their medical staff/employees/volunteers and that event takes place today.

I am scheduled to be on the program .. which includes songs, skits, readings, etc. .. and do "whatever I want" (do they really know who they're dealing with here?) for fifteen minutes .. 12:15 to 12:30.

This is not my first rodeo .. perhaps that should be "this is not my first colonoscopy."

In fact, it is my third appearance (I'm still trying to meet my deductible) at this annual event.

There is a saying we have in the "biz" about most evangelists.

Every church needs to have (insert name of evangelist) for revival .. no church needs to have (insert name of evangelist) a second time.

This holds true for comedians, as well.

I have a "set" routine I have used for years (like .. thirty years). It's "tried and true" and .. for the most part .. a crowd pleaser. All I have to do is update the jokes just a little (example: one of my stories involves a child asking Santa for a Blu-ray player .. two years ago it was a DVD player .. before that, a VCR .. before that, a Laser Disc).

When I started getting re-invites, I came up with a whole new routine I could use for those return engagements (I'm not that great .. but I don't have a set fee .. this opens many doors for me).

I know they say "three's a charm" .. they also say "three's a crowd" .. although I thought Three's Company????

My guess is after I have my "fifteen minutes of fame" today, there'll be no invitation to return next year.

At least if they throw things .. I'll already be at the hospital.

"For I will restore health unto thee, and I will heal thee of thy wounds, saith the LORD." -Jeremiah 30:17a

1 comment:

Tom T. Kitty said...

Are you going to sing "Walking Round in Women's Underwear"?