Saturday, May 23, 2009

Graduation Exercises


Our church has been blessed in recent years with a good number of college students who have "plugged in" to FBC Humboldt and made it their home away from home (sort of like what Cheers was to Norm .. without all the beer).

Many of those students will be walking the line (♫ I keep a close watch on this heart of mine ..) tonight at Union University's graduation.

This year's seniors who have been involved at our church are, as Bro. Greg said several weeks ago, "the cream of the cream of the crop." One of them is particularly special to my heart.

Sarah Eastin has been our watchcare (it's like an 'adopt a student' program) daughter the past four years and tonight "my baby girl" will be a college graduate. In October, she is getting married (here we go again .. I don't know if my nerves can stand it!).

Sarah has been a blessing to Cheryl and me and we will miss her (I wonder if watchcare kids ever come back home .. like your real children do from time to time? .. I'd better get the spare room ready .. just in case).

A couple of years ago she told Cheryl she wanted a "little sister" (hey, I offered to help do my part) and we "adopted" another student (Danielle .. yes I said your name .. don't be jealous of big sister .. you are special too). I suppose Sarah knew we would be sad when she left and it was her way of helping us get through the "empty nest syndrome" .. all over again.

Several weeks ago the Tennessee Mens Chorale sang at Union. During the program our director asked if any of the students had a dad in the group. Several stood .. including my "daughter," Sarah.

Once again, one of my kids made me proud.

"I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth" - 3 John 1:4

1 comment:

Cathy said...

Congrats, Mom and Dad! That's really special. I know she will come back and visit...who wouldn't want to see you two again?