Friday, May 22, 2009

Role Reversal


I went to great lengths (at least a mile or two) in yesterday's post to explain how Cheryl always likes to sleep in and how I get up every day at five o'clock .. usually.

Well, today I didn't roll out of bed until 7:00 AM (don't judge me .. I'm off .. WAY off) and she was well into her morning "I'm getting ready to face the day" ritual (which includes looking in the mirror and repeating, 'You can do this. School is almost out. You can do this. School is almost out. You can ..').

Throughout our marriage we have done things a little differently than many couples.

Cheryl does the finances, a task more often than not, done by the husband. I could. However, early on we decided since I have the tendency to put things off (mom, I promise that Mother's Day card is in the mail), it would be better for her to do it (I'm reasonably sure our house would have been in foreclosure years ago because I forgot send in the monthly payment).

Cheryl does the grilling (I'm talking about burgers, chicken, hotdogs .. not, 'where have you been all night???). Often, because the male likes to play with fire, men like to cook on the barbecue grill. Not me.

Being in the ministry, I don't like to sweat (it just seems too much like you are working). Standing over a hot grill has no appeal to this guy. However, Cheryl stays cold all the time. It's almost like the solution (an Amana 3 burner propane grill) was right there in front of our faces the whole time.

I clean the bathrooms, dust and vacuum the house .. most of the time. Because I am a procrastinator (really mom, any day now .. check the mail box), sometimes Cheryl gets tired of waiting on me and takes matters (toilet brush, cleaning rag, or vacuum cleaner) in to her own hands.

These are just a few examples of how we do things around the Hamilton household. It may not work for everyone. However, it seems to do the trick (pick a card .. any card) for us. Really when it comes down to it, marriage is working as a team and who cares who does what?

Gotta go. I don't want to be late for my pedicure.

"There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus." - Galatians 3:28

No comments: