Friday, September 4, 2009

The 40-Year-Old Internet


I am usually "a day late and a dollar short" (actually, several days late and hundreds of dollars short .. I never send money) when it comes to sending "thank you" notes or birthday cards. I really am very thoughtful. However, no one knows because it often never gets past the "thought" to the "ful" stage.

This week is no different.

I missed acknowledging a very important birthday .. the internet's 40th.

That's right. Lordy, Lordy, look who's forty!

On September 2, 1969, Len Kleinrock, a computer scientist and his team at UCLA began experiments that would lay the foundation of what later would become the Internet.

It all began when two computers sent out meaningless data (as you can see .. I have carried the torch quite nicely) at Kleinrock's lab at the University of California in Los Angeles.

And now you know .. the rest of the story.

It is hard to imagine a world without a wide web attached. It's sort of like a peanut without butter and jelly or Gatti without Keltner and Bienvenu.

I'm sure in 1969 this team of computer scientists had no idea what kind of "can of worms" (also available in your grocer's dairy case) they were opening.

The internet is a powerful tool that can be used for good (example: www.revkevhamilton.com) or evil (example: www.revkevhamilton.com).

Surf's up. Be careful out there.

".. tell me wherewith thou mightest be bound. And he said unto her, If thou weavest the seven locks of my head with the web." - Judges 16:13b

1 comment:

Cathy said...

Come, thou Fount of information, tune my mind to sing thy praise; streams of factoids, never ceasing, call for songs of loudest...