Friday, September 18, 2009

How High's the Water, Momma?


You "regulars" (this could also be true for you unleadeds and premiums) may recall on Monday I took some of the credit/blame for rain being in the area (I didn't mow my yard last weekend and that started it all).

If you live in Humboldt or the surrounding metropolitan area (Trenton and Milan), you know it has continued to rain all week and according to reliable sources (my bones ache in this kind of weather), there is no end in sight.

As of this writing (well after 7 AM .. I sleep in on Fridays) the bermuda grass in my yard has grown very high. By the time the precipitation leaves our area and it is dry enough to mow, the grass will most likely be up to my waist and then there will really be "no end in sight." In other words, if you are observing from behind .. there will be no behind to observe .. no ifs, ands or butts.

I have a mulching mower and the yard has to be completely dry for it to work properly. If the ground is the least bit wet, the routine is the same: You push about six feet .. the engine chokes and dies .. you pull the cord again to restart and push about six feet .... get the picture?

With the ground as saturated as it is and considering how high the grass will be by the time I'm able to actually get to the yard (perhaps mid-October .. if I'm lucky), it will probably take a week and a half to two weeks to finish the job.

Of course, if it starts raining again ....

"And the flood was forty days upon the earth; and the waters increased" - Genesis 7:17a

No comments: