Saturday, September 12, 2009

Retreat! Retreat!

"Napoleon's Retreat from Moscow" by Adolph Northern

I got home last night from the TMC (Tennessee Mens Chorale) Retreat in Nashville and after two days of rehearsals we all feel like the guys in Adolph Northern's painting (I wish you could 'tag' people on here like on Facebook .. David Whaley is the one laying on his side on the right).

Poor Paul Clark (our fearless leader). We finished up around six o'clock. He had to spend the night with a lot of women (that didn't come out quite right) because the TLC (Tennessee Ladies Choir) rehearsed for the rest of the evening (plus they will be there until 3:00 PM today .. Paul B. will need his own retreat when all is said and done).

We rehearsed something old ("We Are Not Alone"), something new ("Let Us Sing to the Lord"), something borrowed ("Come, Thou Fount of Every Blessing" .. Bill Carver, thanks for loaning me a copy .. I couldn't find mine) and something blue ("Sing a Mighty Song" .. the cover was printed in 'royal' and 'powder' .. or was it 'sapphire' and 'steel'?? .. I didn't sing for the first several measures of the song .. twelve bars .. just trying to figure those colors out).

Over the course of Thursday and Friday, we sang through and polished twenty two (but hey .. who's counting?) pieces that will be used during some of our upcoming singing opportunities like the Tennessee Baptist Convention, Ridgecrest Conference Center, a mission trip to the Ukraine .. and possibly the opening of a new Ben and Jerry's in Franklin.

Exciting times are ahead, but for now .. I'm going back to bed.

"To the end that my glory may sing praise to thee, and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give thanks unto thee for ever." - Psalm 30:12

No comments: