Monday, September 28, 2009

Sing It Again, Sam .. and Rick .. and Paul


Last night I had the privilege of hearing The CenturyMen in concert at West Jackson Baptist Church and I was not disappointed (unlike that Christmas when I didn't get a pony .. I did wake up a "little hoarse" .. that didn't count).

This group of 100 auditioned professional Christian musicians (thus the name .. although it could have been derived from the two or three who actually had to be at least one hundred years of age) from across the United States was formed in 1969, so this was their 40th anniversary tour (I was always good in math).

Noted composer and arranger, Buryl Red has been the Musical Director of the group since it's inception and just being in the same room as the man who did the music for "Celebrate Life," "It's Cool in the Furnace," and "Beginnings" was a real treat. He and Joseph Joubert (Associate Director/Accompanist .. dude can play the piano) have done most of the arrangements for the group over the past ten years and they really know how to capture the power and beauty of men's voices. Incredible.

The CenturyMen are known internationally (Dr. Ernesto Chioco told me he had heard of them) through their concert/mission tours abroad which occur every five years. Their overseas tours have included England, Wales, Scotland, Germany, Austria, Turkey, Spain, Portugal, Greece, Switzerland, Israel, Brazil, the People's Republic of China, Russia, Poland, and the Czech Republic.

Around the world, but never to Gibson County. What's up with that?

Several of my friends (those more talented than me) sing in this group and it was great seeing them up there in the choir loft .. with their fancy schmanchy tuxedos .. singing their hearts out .. just to mock me.

Maybe, I'll audition next time there's an opening (I'm keeping an eye on those 100 year old guys .. it's like sitting at the kid's table at Thanksgiving .. waiting out Uncle Billy so you can move up to sit with the grown-ups).

On second thought, one bad apple might spoil the whole bunch and these guys seem to be doing just fine without me.

"And they ministered before the dwelling place of the tabernacle of the congregation with singing."
- 1 Chronicles 6:32a

No comments: