Monday, October 5, 2009

Christmas Mourning


Several Ministers of Music from across the West Tennessee area will gather at FBC Humboldt this morning for our regular monthly meeting. We will have a little fellowship time (yes, this is a Baptist group) at 9:30, and then begin rehearsing music that will be sung for the West Tennessee Pastors Conference in December.

Music Ministers and Pastors together under one roof when they don't even have to be. That's like cats and dogs gathering together because they enjoy each other's company .. it's a mystery and a miracle.

Under normal circumstances I would be excited about meeting with the group (it gets me out of Monday morning staff meeting).

Not today.

I was selected (I drew the short straw) to direct this group of my peers and I am now beginning to have second thoughts about doing so.

Music Ministers are like fans at a sporting event. No matter how well the coach/team is doing .. they know how it could be done much better.

Don't you think that tempo was a little too fast? .. Why didn't you observe that fermata? .. Surely you're not going on to the next song before we "fix" the problem at the CODA?

Of course none of these things are said out loud. Like Mary, we just "ponder them in our heart" .. and mention it to the other guys (not the director) during our bathroom break, so they will be aware that it didn't escape our attention.

While most of the conflict and distress lies totally unvoiced, there is also the occasional, "The baritones are singing a Bb at measure 41. Shouldn't that be a B natural?" from the "hotdog" on the front row (these guys always sit down front).

Any way you slice it, I am going to have to overcome my apprehension and do this thing.

I'm reasonably sure if there are any problems or concerns along the way, one of my "brothers in ministry" (aka, killjoys) will be more than happy to point them out .. in Christian love.

Disclaimer .. for my music minister colleagues who might actually read this: Like everything I write, today's blog entry is for entertainment purposes only. It was done "tongue-in-check" .. mostly.

"I am troubled; I am bowed down greatly; I go mourning all the day long." - Psalm 38:6

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We know you meant it! Good job today Kev.