Monday, October 12, 2009

Custer's Last Stand


Recently, my son and a couple of his friends have been sitting around in the evenings a pickin' and a grinnin' (that's Southern for 'playing music and singing') just for fun. Drew called and told me about this little group (guitar and mandolin with an occasional autoharp .. and vocals) last week and he was excited about the possibilities.

Cheryl and I got to hear Custer's Last Band (yep, that's the name .. no, it was not a massacre) last night at a small gathering and we had a great time.

Their music was quite eclectic. They went from 'I'll Fly Away' to 'Rollin in My Sweet Baby's Arms' (two of my favorite hymns) without blinking an eye and somehow it all worked.

Their sound is a cross between Allison Krauses' "Union Station" and the "Soggy Bottom Boys" (that is also what we call the twin male babies in the church nursery) .. sort of a Southern fried Rockabilly-Bluegrass.

Now THAT'S entertainment.

This band is strictly for fun .. right now, but who knows what the future may bring?

My retirement fund was rocked pretty hard the last couple of years. If these guys (and gal) also continue to "rock pretty hard," perhaps Drew can take care of me in my twilight years.

In order for that to take place, they need to expand their instrumentation.

How about adding brass?

Custer's Last Band needs a .. little/big horn.

"He hath dispersed, he hath given to the poor; his righteousness endureth for ever; his horn shall be exalted with honour." - Psalm 112:9

No comments: