Saturday, July 19, 2008

Are You Still Here?


Today marks my ninth anniversary at First Baptist Church in Humboldt (I'm not quite sure if I'm bragging or complaining). It is by far my longest tenure at any institution (watch it .. watch it) and this calls for a time of reflection (mirror, mirror on the wall ..).

I recall my first staff meeting and how, afterwards, I felt so overwhelmed. I went back to my office and teared up a little (the uncontrollable crying didn't happen for another day or two) and thought that I had made a big mistake. Fortunately, all those feelings started to subside as I began to feel comfortable in this new environment (now, only the church members weep).

The hardest part about being somewhere for a long period of time is staying "fresh". It's so easy to get in a rut (a grave with the two ends kicked out) and just do the "same old, same old" day in and day out. I struggle with this constantly.

So .. we had a children's music camp for the very first time this summer. Handbells are going to get up and running after a long absence (it does make the heart grow fonder) and I am starting a senior adult choir this Fall (they're oldies .. but goodies).

Will this give me a new zeal and excitement for ministry? Probably not. I'm old. Nothing excites me these days. But, maybe they will let me hang on for another month or two.

No comments: