Tuesday, July 29, 2008

A Bird in the Hand Is .. Gross


When I was in seminary, I remember one of my professors telling about a grant that cost the American taxpayer several billion dollars. It was awarded so that a study could be made to determine (are you ready for this?) why birds sing.

They should have just asked me. Birds sing .. because they are happy (just pay me in small bills, please). If a bird is unhappy (if mynah ain't happy, ain't nobody happy) however, beware.

Yesterday, I ran home (why I didn't drive is beyond me) after lunch to put some blueberries (thanks, Margaret and Mike) in the fridge. I was only inside for about ten minutes. When I returned and started up the car, I heard a noise in the back window and saw a small sparrow fluttering around in the back. It had obviously flown in through an open (only slightly cracked, actually) window, and was now trapped.

I'm not sure which one of us was the most surprised. Let's just say that some clean up was required before returning to the office.

All ended well, though. I opened a door and the bird flew (some glad morning, when this life is o'er) away to do what birds do.

If Max Lucado wrote this blog, I'm sure he would use this story as a teaching opportunity. He would probably point out that there are great freedoms in the christian life. However, sometimes we find ourselves helplessly trapped in situations (cages) of our own doing. It is when we exhaust every bit of self-effort and are ready to give up, that God arrives (He was actually there patiently waiting) and frees us to, once again .. soar and sing.

That would have been good. Too bad Max Lucado doesn't write this blog.

No comments: