Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Lighten Up a Little


Last night in preparation for my Wednesday morning men's prayer group, I read chapter 23 of Max Lucado's book, "In the Eye of the Storm". It was called, Why God Smiles and suggested that Jesus had (and still has .. I hope) a great sense of humor.

This is music to my ears because I've toyed with starting a new blog filled with humor instead of the serious droning that you see here (I'm speaking to the nine people who actually read this stuff) each and every day.

I find humorous things in scripture from time to time. Most often it is just a passing thought that goes through this weird brain of mine. For instance, in Matthew 12 there is an occasion when Jesus was teaching and his mother and brother show up outside and ask to speak with him. One of the disciples goes to Jesus and says, (this is the RKV - Revised Kevin Version) "Your mother and brother are here". Jesus answers, "Who is my mother? Who are my brothers"? If I were the disciple, I would probably say something like, "Alrighty ... Do you want to see 'em or not? Yes or No"?

I believe with all my heart that the Lord has a sense of humor (look at the human race - you have to laugh to keep from crying). In fact, Proverbs says, "Laughter is a good medicine." That's one of my favorite Bible verses (I also like, "It takes one to know one").

Have you taken your medicine today?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Rev Kev

I too believe Jesus has a sense of humor!! Why else would He keep putting folks with a GREAT sense of humor in my path, just when I need it!! Keep up the goog work!!