Thursday, February 12, 2009

Give the Winds a Mighty Voice


With winds like nothing I've ever experienced before, yesterday's trip to Reelfoot was .. different, to say the least (of course I've never been one to 'say the least').

First, I usually call ahead to set up a guided tour (eagle watch) with the park. However, since we've been about a gazillion (maybe even a bazillion) times, I thought we could save $5 per person (these are hard economic times) by "going it" alone.

When we got to the Air Park, our usual starting point (because that's where the guides are .. and they have restrooms), there was no one there but workers cleaning up after the fire that destroyed almost everything .. five months earlier.

Oops.

Now, I have a bus full of senior adults who are thirsty and desperately need to "go" (full bladder + bouncing bus = accident waiting to happen) and they have just learned we must travel another 25 miles to the Welcome Center to "re-water and de-water."

Fortunately, everything "came out alright."

Unfortunately, since the winds were so strong (I'm talking about outdoors, now), there was not an eagle in sight .. unless you count the two outside the Welcome Center in a large caged area and the ceramic ones in the gift shop .. which I am (sure, we saw several eagles on our trip).

The food at Boyette's was delicious and .. totally unhealthy (I took a whole week's worth of my cholesterol medicine before going to bed last night). Everything was battered and deep fried (even the eating utensils!!) and you could almost feel your arteries closing up just a little with every bite.

Now, that's living (he was a good man .. doesn't he look natural?).

Driving home, Gus (our driver .. hop on the bus, Gus) had to really "fight" the wind (still talking about outside .. for the most part .. I sat right behind him) all the way back to Humboldt. Holding the big Bluebird steady was no easy task (I really think I saw a cow blow across the road in front of us at one point), but we made it back to 3400 Mitchell Street in one piece.

I think all the extra weight from our lunch meal helped stabilize things.

Now, that's "taking one for the team."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This must have been the reason you let us out of Choir Practice early.....

Anonymous said...

Road trips with RevKev...we leave you with an image of a buffet.

Kevin let you out of choir early? He must be getting soft in his old age!
He probably didn't give you any donuts, either!

RevKev♫ said...

We had missed so many "regular" rehearsals the last few weeks, I forgot what time we were to finish. I notice no one spoke up.