Saturday, February 7, 2009

It's Winter .. Why Are the Days Getting Longer?


During the winter months, the days are usually shorter (it has something to do with the tilt of the earth's axis .. and getting older). However, that has not been the case .. of late.

My days are getting longer.

Last night, I spoke at a Lions Club banquet in Olive Branch, Mississippi. I had a 98 mile drive one way (actually, it was 98 miles the other way, too) and I got home late. However, the crowd was responsive (these days I feel successful when they don't 'boo' or throw things at me) and it was worth it.

The banquet theme was "Lion King/Mardi Gras" (Disney/debauchery .. does that really seem right? .. come to think of it, Pluto and Donald Duck don't wear pants .. those pervs) and they started out the evening with a guy in a lion costume leading a line of "bead-throwing, mask-wearing" paraders through the room.

I have to say, this was a new experience.

I'm usually at church banquets. At those gatherings the most exciting part for me is if we don't have to eat ham and green beans. If ham and green beans are on the menu, the best part is the invocation (that's 'the blessing' for all my Baptist readers) .. it's all downhill from there.

Next week I'm doing two more Valentine banquets. Fortunately, they are within a twenty five mile radius.

Unfortunately, they are both church banquets.

Does anyone want my green beans? I'll swap them for an extra roll.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope the Lions were wearing pants...

RevKev♫ said...

They were. I'm not lyin'