Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Little Person, Big World


I want to send out a birthday greeting to Boots Lam (one of our church librarians at FBC) who is ninety four years "young" today.

Because she doesn't have a computer (she still uses a manual typewriter), someone will have to tell her she is the subject of today's blog (someone will also have to tell her what a blog is .. just forget it .. this is already getting too complicated).

If you look up the term "little old lady," you will find a picture of Boots (she's kind of a cross between a munchkin from the Land of Oz and .. Yoda from Star Wars .. going to kill me, she is).

She's a tiny little thing and I admit that has given me plenty of material over the years to "burn her" during snack (a ten o'clock on Wednesday break time for church staff/library ladies, that has been going on .. since the dawn of time).

I have teased her about being the same size as the day-care children.

I have teased her about not being able to see over the top of her desk without sitting on a stack of books.

I have teased her about being required, by law, to use a booster seat when she is in a moving vehicle.

At her 90th birthday celebration, I played "These Boots Are Made for Walking," sang an age-related parody on "Happy Birthday," and gave her a box of dirt (so there would be something at the party older than she was).

I have poked, prodded, taunted, and jabbed .. constantly .. for almost ten years, because .. she is slow and can't catch me .. AND .. I love her, dearly.

Happy Birthday, Boots.

"Because He hath set his love upon me ... because He hath known my name ... with long life will I satisfy Him ..." - Psalm 91:14, 16

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Kevin,

Thanks for the kind (?) words about Mother. Now I just have to figure out how to get this in front of her.

RevKev♫ said...

I printed off a copy and gave it to her at snack. She's still talking to me, so that's good!