Friday, February 13, 2009

If It Weren't for Bad Luck, I'd Have No Luck At All


Today is Friday.

Friday the .. 13th (click to cue scary music), a day associated with bad luck (very bad luck if you're a group of teenage counselors at Camp Crystal Lake .. Betsy Palmer was so sweet on I've Got a Secret .. what happened? .. guess she lost her head).

I've never placed much stock in silly superstition (serious superstition, yes .. but not the silly kind).

As a kid I do remember walking down the sidewalk and avoiding every crack (I didn't want to be responsible for breaking my mother's back .. that's just too much guilt for a child to bear .. thankfully, I'm past my 'childbearing' years).

I never walked under a ladder (a falling house painter could maim or kill a small child) nor crossed the street if a black cat ran in front of me.

I don't really believe all that stuff, but .. why take chances? So ...

I carry a rabbit's foot (not so lucky for the rabbit) and four-leaf clover in my pocket during the day (at night they sit on a table by my bed .. next to my horseshoe and garlic cloves)

I never open an umbrella in the house (nothing to do with luck .. mother just had a thing about umbrellas in the house .. we couldn't even use Morton salt).

I'm very careful when handling mirrors (the music ministry has been tougher the last seven years and I don't need to buy any more trouble).

I don't pick up toads (even though they are rich in vitamin P) and I don't do windows (this is not related to luck .. I just don't do windows).

An Apple a day may keep the doctor away, but that was getting too expensive (I have a laptop, a few desktops, several ipods, an iphone, etc.). Maybe I'll find a "pot of gold" soon.

Proverbs 16:33 says: "The lot is cast into the lap, but its every decision is from the LORD."

This verse assures us things aren't just left to chance.

Lucky for me.

No comments: