Saturday, February 28, 2009

Time Flies When You're ... Old


It is the last day of February for 2009 and I can't believe how quickly the days are passing.

When I was a kid (in the chronological sense .. I'm not referring to my day to day adolescent behavior), it seemed like time stood still, especially if you were waiting for a special day/time like Christmas, Easter, Spring & Summer break, 3 o'clock Monday through Friday .. it was an eternity.

Fast forward several years (okay, several, several years).

Clock hands (for my younger readers .. there was a time when clocks were not digital and used a 'big hand' and 'little hand' .. sort of like a sun dial .. to tell time) spin fast enough I could use my old Westclox "Big Ben" as a box fan. The pages seem to fly off my calendar like they do to represent the "passing of time" on the television or movie screen.

Getting older is NOT for the faint of heart.

I ran in to an old college buddy of mine last week. He is married to a younger woman (when Cheryl hit forty I joked about trading her in for two twenties .. she said I wasn't wired for 220 .. we're still together) and they are expecting .. for the first time.

He is well into his fifties and this is going to involve quite a few .. changes (note the clever play on words .. I amuse myself .. and ONLY myself, sometimes).

His doctor (who was older and had gone through this same scenario) told him it was a "piece of cake." Since older men get up three or four times during the night anyway to go to the bathroom .. just check in on the baby.

Sleepers, awake!

5 comments:

jidgede said...

according to the weathermen you may have the day off tomorrow.....

RevKev♫ said...

I'll believe it when I see it!

Anonymous said...

Ask Jim Jaggers about the weather for Sunday...I hear he's one of your many fans!

RevKev♫ said...

He dropped me like a hot potato when he heard I was watching the Jackson weatherman, Gary Pickens.

jidgede said...

if jim (jaggers) or tim (simpson) (he's in bellevue choir every sunday) says it, it's gospel!!!! (hee hee)