Friday, February 20, 2009

Playing Possum


When I first came to Humboldt, one of our members invited me to attend a men's "Game Supper" at the church. I had only been at First Baptist for about two weeks and most of the people didn't know me very well .. yet.

When I arrived at the fellowship hall on that Tuesday night, I had brought Twister, Battleship, Sorry, and Monopoly. I can still see Ben Murdock standing by the kitchen area with a toothpick in his mouth when he said, "What ya got there, buddy?"

I replied, "You said you were having a game supper. Where do I put these games?"

Since I had moved to Humboldt (small town) from Memphis (big city), he thought, perhaps, I really didn't know what I was attending. He went on to explain how the guys killed (insert your critter of choice) and cooked them for a big "guy gathering."

I never let on I was joking and (like many in the audience at most of my banquet gigs) he never knew I was joking.

Tonight, there is a ladies' "Game Night" at FBC. Cheryl is going and it would be appropriate to take Twister, Battleship, Sorry, and Monopoly.

I'm trying to convince her to carry an oven-roasted raccoon.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow. what a blog! nice writing skills. keep it up yaar! :)

Anonymous said...

Is this guy kidding.....He happened up on "THE BLOG", the blog of all blogs....today is definitly his lucky day, maybe he should buy a lottery ticket.

Anonymous said...

Tell Cheryl if she will bring a coon dish, I will bring a nicely cooked goat. My neighbor has several and I don't think he'd miss one.

RevKev♫ said...

It's not Bill Grogan's goat, is it? http://www.djmorton.demon.co.uk/scouting/songs/goat.htm

Anonymous said...

Come to think of it, I do have a red shirt missing. My lips are sealed!

Anonymous said...

thanks for helping us spread the word of our game night!! I just don't think we want any of Vicki's goat there though...

Anonymous said...

It's just another one of REVKEV's many fans!