Friday, April 17, 2009

It's (Almost) Never Too Late


The Rev joined the Rabbi this morning and decided to sleep in after a very long Thursday (got up at 5:00 AM .. got home at 10:20 PM). I know this is nothing for those in the medical field (Dinah is always 'trumping' me when I say I've had a long day .. 'I've been up for 72 hours straight .. give me more cappuccino and I can go another 36 hours' .. you nurses make me sick .. wait .. that's exactly what you want, isn't it? .. job security .. you sneaky, sleep-deprived genius, you).

Cheryl's plane landed right on time yesterday afternoon at 5:42 PM. Of course, I had been at the airport since four o'clock (in the morning) .. waiting patiently (maybe just waiting .. I was like a dog staring out the window at the end of a long workday .. anticipating his master getting home) for my woman to arrive.

It has been 28 years, but my heart still starts pumping a little faster when I catch a glimpse of "the little woman" (I know, Dinah .. your heart probably pumps three times as fast when you see Darrell .. can't you let me win at something? ..).

We picked up her suitcase and left for .. the hospital (I know that was the first thing on my mind after being apart for almost a week) to check in on our dear friend, Ernie Owens (continue praying for him and his family).

Next, it was off to Bahama Breeze for some "good eats" .. for me: Sun-Drenched Portobello & Vegetable Sandwich (with char-grilled seasonal vegetables, tomato, asparagus, pepper-jack cheese and fresh basil, hot-pressed on Cuban bread) .. yum!

We left Memphis well after nine o'clock and headed back to Humboldt. Cheryl slept most of the way home .. I slept part of the way (dozing on Interstate 40 at seventy miles per hour is not a good thing) .. it was a real struggle to stay awake.

Fortunately, we made it home without incident .. if you don't count causing a motorist in a truck to swerve a few times (sir, your vehicle distinctly said 'dodge' on one side and 'ram' on the other .. I'm a 'rule person' and I follow instructions).

When we got home, I checked email and did what I had been waiting all day to do .. go to sleep.

I think I'm starting to show signs of aging.

"Cast me not off in the time of old age; forsake me not when my strength faileth." - Psalm 71:9

2 comments:

Cathy said...

Glad Cheryl made it home safely. Tell her I said hello!

RevKev♫ said...

I will!