Saturday, April 18, 2009

You're a Grand Old Flag .. My Pretty


Yesterday, tickets went on sale to the general public (not for those of a lower rank .. like corporal or sergeant .. although, I believe there is one private showing) for "Wicked" at the Orpheum in Memphis and Cheryl and I are going .. on July 4 (there might be fireworks when we miss her family reunion).

If you are unfamiliar with this musical (which debuted on Broadway in 2003), it is based on a best-selling novel by Gregory Maquire that parallels L. Frank Baum's classic story, "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz." The twist (as in 'come on baby, let's do the ..') is that it is written from the perspective of the witches (doesn't this sound like something a minister should be attending? .. I'm a minister of music .. that makes it okay).

I saw this musical in London (there, it had to be said .. when I posted on Facebook, several members responded .. one had seen it in San Francisco .. a few in New York .. I didn't want to sound pretentious and play the international card .. on FB .. but here? .. my nose is in the air as I write) in 2007 when the Tennessee Mens' Chorale toured Wales (the nose is now almost touching the ceiling fan .. let them eat cake) for ten days and I have wanted Cheryl to see it ever since.

This summer, she will have the chance.

The last time Cheryl and I went to the Orpheum, it was to see "High School Musical." We had great seats on the floor and there was a lot of energy in the room .. from all the 11 and 12 year old girls in attendance (the only adults there were with 11 and 12 year old girls .. we sat next to a couple of them and pretended they were with us .. it cost me over $50 in popcorn and drinks .. however, we made new friends .. we're taking them to see the 'Hannah Montana' movie).

Our next outing at the Orpheum should be better.

This time I'll go home singing some of the hits from the musical and not trying to recreate Troy's dance moves.

"Many sorrows shall be to the wicked: but he that trusteth in the LORD, mercy shall compass him about."
- Psalm 32:10

3 comments:

jidgede said...

hey revkev, "hannah montana's" been out since april 10!!!!

enjoy "wicked"!!!

RevKev♫ said...

Thanks!

Tom T. Kitty said...

You're so....POPULAR!