Thursday, June 4, 2009

I Keep My Eyes Wide Open All the Time


If you hang around here very much, you have probably noticed at least one reoccurring topic (besides the elderly .. and flatulence) that seems to resurface from time to time.

Insomnia.

In more recent days my wife has become acquainted with this affliction (almost as bad as being afflicted with this acquaintance).

This morning .. "it's me again, Margaret."

I'm not quite sure why I can't sleep: racing mind? (If pro is the opposite of con, what is the opposite of progress? .. When you say PIN number aren't you really saying Personal Identification Number Number? .. If Bugs Bunny runs around naked all the time why does he put on a bathing suit when he goes to the beach?), guilty conscience? (I received a phone call the other day and one of the church members said, 'This may be a stupid question, but...' I stopped them mid-sentence and assured them there were NO stupid questions, just stupid people .. that was wrong .. it felt good at the time .. but it was wrong), Allegra D? (I think the D stands for 'dummy .. this is going to make you wake up every three hours' over the next twelve).

I just know I can't sleep and it is very frustrating.

You would think 5:00 AM, my normal time to "rise and shine" (okay make that just rise), should be plenty early.

Four o'clock in the morning (farmers refer to it as 'sleeping in') is for paper boys (excuse me .. paper persons would be more 'PC' .. of course I'm a Mac) and party animals.

I'm neither, so I'm heading back to bed.

If you try to reach me at the office this morning and Brenda tells you that I'm "unavailable," just leave a message.

I'll call you back sometime within the next three hours .. when the decongestant kicks in again.

"Awake up, my glory; awake, psaltery and harp: I will awake early" - Psalm 57:8

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

I too understand this condition all too well. When I wake at 2:30am or so, I search for the latest episodes of Law and Order and rather than listening to the TV, I read the closed captioning ... so as to NOT wake Stan ... he says the flashing light bothers him but the snoring sounds indicate otherwise.

Cathy said...

So sorry. Sleep well or good. Which is it?

Tom T. Kitty said...

I bet you sleep during church just fine...