Saturday, June 13, 2009

Sailing .. Takes Me Away


Cheryl will be flying from Memphis to Miami in the morning and by afternoon she should be boarding a Carnival Cruise ship for seven days of .. doing absolutely nothing (honey, you could have saved your money .. I accomplish that right here at home).

It's that time again.

Cheryl takes one week a year and tries to escape the hustle and bustle of her busy life in Humboldt (it's a pressure cooker around here) by sailing the seas.

The destination doesn't matter (every place looks the same when you are lying in a lounge chair with a book pressed against your nose). She just likes to get out of town (anywhere past Milan will do), turn off her cell phone (she used to leave it on for emergencies, but evidently I was calling too many times .. I was never good at separating laundry), read a book .. or two .. or eight (how many times do you really need to read Pride and Prejudice?) and have a nice meal .. or two .. or twenty eight.

I went on our first cruise. However, somehow I was banned from .. I believe Cheryl's words were .. "ever setting foot on a ship with me" again.

I'm not much of a "relaxer" and for some reason I make everyone else around me .. uncomfortable? .. no, that's not it .. edgy? .. no, that's not it .. miserable? .. bingo, that's the word.

One week apart helps ensure a healthier relationship and that is a small price to pay (unless you upgrade to a room with a balcony).

"He leadeth me beside the still waters." - Psalm 23:2b

No comments: