Monday, June 8, 2009

The O.K. Chorale


Today around lunch time I'll be leaving for Nashville to practice and prepare for a worship concert by seven state convention men's chorales. This mess (make that mass) choir will take place tonight at First Baptist Church in our capital city as part of the BCMC.

BCMC stands for the Baptist Church Music Conference.

I wanted to clarify because there are other organizations by that acronym, as well:
  • Building Component Manufacturers Conference
  • British Cable Makers Confederation
  • Battle Creek Motorcycle Club
  • Brass Craft Manufacturing Company
  • Brew Crew Moving Company (no way I'd let these guys touch my furniture)
And of course ...
  • Bay County Mosquito Control
This will be the third time I have been on the program at a meeting of the BCMC (formerly the SBCMC .. the S standing for Southern .. SBCMC also stands for .. ahhh, forget it), but it is the first time in a musical capacity.

Several years ago I was called upon to honor (translation: roast) Dr. Harry Eskew, one of my former seminary professors from NOBTS (New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary .. NOBTS could also be .. I'm not taking that path again .. promise) when the conference was in Memphis.

In 2007 I was the featured speaker at the banquet in Orlando (my performance is still remembered and referred to by many as 'the day the music died').

This time around I get to actually use my musical talents??? as a part of this music conference (what a crazy idea).

Instead of a rubber chicken and whoopee cushion, I am coming with a folder full of music and tuxedo.

Okay, I'm packing the whoopee cushion .. just to be on the safe side.

"I will be glad and rejoice in thee: I will sing praise to thy name, O thou most High." - Psalm 9:2

1 comment:

Cathy said...

Do you EVER stay home? Be safe and sing good.