Monday, August 24, 2009

Evergreen and Ivory


Tonight I will be speaking at the Singing Christmas Tree Kick-off (not Kiss-off) Banquet at First Baptist Church in Bolivar (Baptists are going to find a way to have a meal included in everything we do, if possible).

My friend, Bill Webb is Minister of Music at FBC and he has been trying to find a way to "plug in" my unique spiritual gift (the gift of gab) for quite a while (he mentioned this to me a year or so ago) and it now appears the timing is right (let's pray that is true of the jokes .. timing IS everything, you know).

I am no stranger to Bolivar (it's not what you're thinking). I have spoken there on several occasions over the years. However, the first time was the most memorable.

I was scheduled to speak at a Valentine's banquet at the church and the day of the event it was snowing to "beat the band" (trust me .. I was in the band and we sustained some pretty severe beatings).

It had snowed all night (one of the biggest ever for the month of February) and the forecast called for more snow.

We lived in Millington at the time and the drive was substantial, so I called to make sure we were still "on" for the night (only after my mother called me to suggest I cancel .. mom, you didn't raise a quitter .. a slacker, maybe .. but not a quitter).

Well, I was told everything was to proceed as planned and to be careful.

This was good advice because they closed down the highway right behind me and a trip that should have taken an hour and ten minutes took about three and a half hours .. just to get to my parent's house (it was another 25 miles from there).

The drive was nerve wracking and I was concerned to say the least (savor this moment .. it's not often I 'say the least') about the remainder of the trip.

After several calls, it was determined that a staffer at Union University (they had a four wheel drive) would come by and pick me up at mom and dad's house. My old roommate's parents lived in Bolivar and they were going to let me spend the night with them.

That never happened because the banquet got "scratched" when those decorating for the event had difficulty getting out of the parking lot.

Yes, you heard me. Difficulty getting out of the parking lot.

They did send me "something for my trouble" and I was invited to come back the next year.

On that occasion, I drove in one of the hardest rains I have ever encountered and there were flash food warnings in all of West Tennessee.

Has anyone seen today's weather report?

Just curious.

"I would hasten my escape from the windy storm and tempest" - Psalm 55:8

1 comment:

erin said...

Good grief, you are a busy man!