Thursday, August 20, 2009

A Normal Day .. for a Change


Today is August 20 (since I update daily, I'm told some of you use RevKev's blog as your calendar .. if I could do 'time and temperature,' who knows how successful this site could be) and if all goes well, it might end up being a normal day .. visit hospitals, complete Sunday's order of worship (I'll have fries and a coke with that hymn .. and make it 'to go'), put out any fires (I'm the minister on call .. who you gonna' call? .. Holy Ghostbusters!!) that might develop, and anything deemed necessary by the pastor (please Greg, don't deem anything necessary).

There are no outside speaking engagements, no meetings, and no trips to Memphis or Nashville.

It's just a normal day with nothing to really gripe .. I mean write .. about.

So, I will take the opportunity to make it a "this day in history" moment.

On August 20, 1938, Lou Gehrig hit his 23rd grand slam – a record that still stands.

On August 20, 2008, Russ Stanphill ate his 23rd grand slam (this was within a ten day period) - and for the record .. he could hardly stand.

This is not really that funny, but some days are more historical than .. hysterical.

" .. thou mayest freely eat" - Genesis 2:16b

2 comments:

Vicki Dale said...

I thought it was funny...but you must consider the source. Can we enter Russ in one of those eating contests?

RevKev said...

I don't think it would be fair .. he's a professional, you know.