Friday, August 7, 2009

Stayin' Alive, Stayin' Alive


Yesterday was another busy one.

It began with a quick trip (45 minutes .. tops) to Milan to pick up a "remnant" (what a misnomer .. this small remaining quantity was 8' x 12' which made it too large for either of our vehicles .. so, I took the old church van .. without permission .. shhh) that Jackson Carpet Company bound for us.

When I got back to the office, I had to put the finishing touches on Sunday's music and get the bulletin typed so it could be printed today.

Throw in the typical, everyday "interruptions" (phone calls, emails to answer, appointments .. what's wrong with you people? .. do you think I'm here to minister to you? .. oh, wait .. I am supposed to be here to minister you .. never mind) and the morning was quickly gone.

I went home to eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich (riveting stuff, isn't it .. no wonder you read this blog) and then headed out to the hospital in Jackson (I needed to be there by one o'clock to see someone in the Intensive Care Unit .. peek-a-boo, ICU).

Of course, there was a wreck on the bypass (everyone appeared to be fine .. so, I don't feel too badly about being perturbed) and that threw me a little behind schedule.

After visiting three patients (I'm sure in my frantic state I was really a comfort to them .. GOD LOVES YOU!!! .. CLOSE YOUR EYES AND LET'S PRAY .. NOW!!!!), I returned to "tie up some loose ends" and get ready to leave with the Youth of Yesterday (at 4:15 PM) on the church bus for Union University's Senior Adult Extravaganza ('extravaganza' meaning all you can eat barbecue .. and a concert).

We had a good time (although the splitting headache I was experiencing continued to hamper my otherwise 'winning personality and pleasant demeanor' .. de-longer de-night, de-meaner I got) together .. until we "lost two" (not dead .. just lost) before departing for home, afterward.

At that point I went back into the crowd of nearly a thousand senior adults and asked if anyone had seen "two old people."

This didn't go over too well (why should they be offended??) and I barely escaped with my life (the elderly can be vicious when provoked, evidently).

We did end up with all thirty passengers back on the bus (I'm not sure they were the same thirty .. but I did 'have my count') and by nine o'clock they were getting in their cars and driving home.

I still had just a little more work to do, so I went back to my office and finished for the night.

When I got home I was tired, irritable and a real joy to be around (just ask Cheryl .. on second thought, don't .. there's no need to relive that nightmare .. again, I'm sorry for being such a jerk .. sugar baby .. sweetie pie .. honey bun).

Perhaps I need another revival.

"Cursed be their anger, for it was fierce; and their wrath, for it was cruel." - Genesis 49:7a

2 comments:

Cathy said...

Hope you get a day of rest soon! You deserve it!

jidgede said...

(peek-a-boo, ICU).....where do you find this stuff??? in revkev"s joke book? YOU are a hoot!!!!!